Cakes 'n More by Valerie

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Getting back into the groove of things

From the minute I saw these biscuits in my copy of Kraft: What's Cooking magazine I knew I'd just have to make them. But at the time I was still in school and didn't have the time to make these beautiful biscuits without sacrificing precious study/work time. So the first moment that I could I rushed for the flour, shortening and cheese to make these tasty treats. Posted by Hello


Cheesy Buttermilk Biscuits
Adapted from Food Network: Better Buttermilk Biscuits and Kraft What's Cooking Magazine

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 - 3 cups shredded cheese (depends on how cheesy you want your biscuits)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
parsley, optional

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and shredded cheese together with a fork or your hands. Cut in the shortening using 2 butter knives moving each in an opposite direction from each other until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk. Quickly fold dry ingredients into buttermilk with your hands until a sticky dough forms.

Turn dough out onto floured surface. Gently fold the dough over itself 3 or 4 times to create layers.

Roll dough out to 3/4-inch thick. Cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter or you can use the rim of a glass. Transfer dough rounds to a sheet pan. Gather scraps and repeat.

Brush with butter and top each with a parsley leaf, brush with more butter.

Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.

2 Comments:

  • Yum, these sound SO good! I wish I could skip work, go home and bake up a batch!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jun 30, 09:39:00 a.m. EDT  

  • Why thank you Samantha! I feel I should mention that the picture that goes with this entry it is exactly how they turn out as well. I like to make sure that all the photos on my site are real and not the fake stuff you see in most magazines.

    By Blogger Compmouse, at Thu Jun 30, 02:01:00 p.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home