Cakes 'n More by Valerie

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Easy Peasy Cheesies

I love cheese, I have always loved cheese and I'm pretty sure I will always love cheese. Something about the savoury flavour that you just can't get anywhere else.

I stumbled upon this little gem of a recipe that is simple and fairly quick to make. Which is tops on my boyfriend's list since he's not as into cooking as I am. It's called Cheesy Vegetarian Slice, and I found the original idea in a recipe book that I was pouring over one day.



Cheesy Vegetarian Slice
Adapted from Cook's Companion

3 cups water
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cornmeal or polenta
1 egg
3/4 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbsp butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x13 in. baking dish.

Put water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal until thickened.

In a small bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add a large spoonful of the cooked cornmeal and stir well to mix. This is very important! If you add the egg directly to the hot cornmeal mixture you'll end up with scrambled eggs instead of a binding agent. Next add two-thirds of the cheese, all of the butter and stir until the cheese melts.

Transfer the mixture into the baking dish sprinkling the remaining cheese on top then bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Makes for a tasty side dish or snack. Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home